Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 282: At Least It's Not A Shoe Store

“If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em!” ~John Waters~

He's got the right idea as far as I'm concerned. I place so much value on people that read, that I don't think I could truly be attracted to a woman that doesn't enjoy reading a good number of books. Not that being an avid consumer of texts is an absolute requirement, but, as a reader, I feel that people that are voracious readers have a tendency to be a bit more knowledgeable, more witty, and have a great depth to their thinking that people that do not read as often.

It hurts me then, to see this: Jackson's last bookstore with it's doors closed for good. Maybe not good, and I suppose it's not Jackson's last book store in town. It was, however, Jackson's last remaining store that dealt only in new books.

Worse yet, I helped in it's closing by buying most of my books on Amazon.

As much as I love walking through a good book store, I was drawn to the cheaper prices of Amazon. Even the Kindle is increasingly becoming a more valued device in my eyes, in spite of my love of the feel of a real book in my hands.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment