Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 301: A Bit Too Harsh?

Friendly fighting amongst friends or family is nothing new. How often have you called someone an buttface or worse? Ever have someone use some goods they have on you for a quick jab? I sure have, and believe you me I've dished it out in kind. It's become a sport of sorts, to try and make someone freeze in their thought processes and wonder just how they're gonna come back from that one.

The severity of the insults is directly related to your closeness with the person, as well as that person's sensitivity to particular issues. For someone you know that has self esteem issues about their weight, you might not call them out of eating too much. Someone that has recently lost someone close to them might not take kindly any joke about death. Using the word "retard" might be funny to some, but use it in the company of someone with a down syndrome child. Yeah, that won't go over well.

Once in a while, however, you might take the joke a bit too far. As in the case of my text conversation with a dear friend, with whom a lot of our shared humor is sexual in nature. Not that I really perceived it as too far, and I still don't think it was that bad personally, but it's been a bit of a sore point as far as my friend goes. I could be wrong, but I could be right too. Hell....I still recall the long texting silence given me and how proud I was to have felt like I just slam dunked the ball for the game winning score. Cue the celebratory dance followed by the obligatory "Tebowing."

No comments:

Post a Comment